Protracted Refugee Situations are those defined as ‘without immediate prospects for implementation of durable solutions’ (UNHCR 2009). The very protracted nature of such refugee crises is therefore directly connected to the fact that – because of political obstacles – there are ‘No Solutions in Sight’ (Crisp 2003).
As a result, much of the academic and policy research carried out on the subject of PRS has focused on how to broker access to the three traditional durable solutions in PRS. Work has looked at the challenges and controversies surrounding repatriation to still fragile settings, and the connections between return, reintegration and broader peace-building processes.
Additional projects have looked at the obstacles preventing formal local integration in host communities, as well as the extent to which de facto integration takes place despite official hostility. Some actors have encouraged the “strategic use” of third-country resettlement in the hope this may help to open up opportunities for broader solutions.
Other researchers have argued that, given the growing numbers trapped in PRS, this is evidence that the classic solutions framework is inadequate to meet the challenges of 21st century displacement. New approaches are needed: there has been a particular focus on how refugee migration and mobility might be incorporated into strategies for solving PRS.
Researchers have also begun to question the extent to which the focus on “solving” PRS has actually deflected attention away from the deteriorating quality of asylum in many host states. Yet it is clear that sustainable solutions to PRS depend on continued defence and protection of refugees’ right to high-quality asylum.
Credit: Katy Long
- Adelman, H. (2008) 'Protracted Refugee Situations and the Right of Return', Metropolis World Bulletin, Vol. 8 on Migration and International Protection.
- Benson, E. (2009) 'Confidence-Building Measures in Western Sahara', Forced Migration Review No. 33.
- Bradley, M. (2006) 'Return of Forced Migrants', FMO Research Guide.
- Crisp, J. (2003) 'No Solutions in Sight: The Problem of Protracted Refugee Situations in Africa', New Issues in Refugee Research No.75, UNHCR.
- Crisp, J. (2006) 'Forced displacement in Africa: Dimensions, difficulties and policy direction', New Issues in Refugee Research No. 126, UNHCR.
- Dion, A. (2009) 'Comprehensive Solutions: A 'Whole-of-Government' Approach', Forced Migration Review No. 33.
- Durieux, J-F. (2009) 'A Regime at a Loss?', Forced Migration Review No. 33.
- Fiddian-Qasmiyeh, E. (2011) 'Protracted Sahrawi displacement: Challenges and opportunities beyond encampment', RSC Forced Migration Policy Briefing No. 7.
- Ferris, E. (2009) 'At Long Last: Finally Peace for Sri Lanka?
- Ferris, E. (2008) 'Peace the only solution to displaced people’s needs'.
- Fielden, A. (2008) 'Local integration: an under-reported solution to protracted refugee situations', New Issues in Refugee Research No.158, UNHCR.
- Golda, A. (2009) 'Use of Housing Vouchers in Georgia', Forced Migration Review No. 33.
- Hyndman, J. (2008) 'Waiting for What? The Humanitarian Dilemma of Protracted Refugee Situations at Home and Abroad', Metropolis World Bulletin, Vol 8 on Migration and International Protection.
- ECRE 'Integration'.
- FMO Resource Summary: Durable Solutions.
- Integration-net (Citizenship and Immigration Canada)
- Jacobson, K. (2001) 'The forgotten solution: local integration for refugees in developing countries', New Issues in Refugee Research No. 45, UNHCR.
- Kamara, M. (2009) 'Daring to Dream of an End to Exile in Sub-Saharan Africa', Forced Migration Review No. 33.
- Kirchhof, A. (2009) 'Burundi: seven years of refugee return', Forced Migration Review No. 33.
- Kuhlman, T. (2002) 'Responding to protracted refugee situations, A case study of Liberian refugees in Côte d’Ivoire', Evaluation Report, UNHCR.
- Lindley, A. (2009) 'Crisis and Displacement in Somalia', Forced Migration Review No. 33.
- Loescher, G. (2006) 'Protracted refugee situations: the search for practical solutions', The State of the World's Refugees, UNHCR.
- Long, K. (2011) 'Permanent Crises? Unlocking the protracted displacement of refugees and internally displaced persons', Policy Overview, Refugee Studies Centre, University of Oxford.
- Long, K. (2010) 'Home Alone? A review of the relationship between repatriation, mobility and durable solutions for refugees', Evaluation Report, UNHCR.
- Long, K. (2009) 'Extending protection? Labour migration and durable solutions for refugees', New Series in Refugee Research No. 176, UNHCR.
- Meyer, S. (2008) 'Local Integration', FMO Research Guide.
- Mooney, E. (2009) 'When ‘Temporary’ Lasts Too Long', Forced Migration Review No. 33.
- Noor, H. (2009) 'Addressing Core Problems', Forced Migration Review No. 33.
- Perlman Robinson, J. and Alpar, S. (2009) 'Hope and Opportunities for Young People', Forced Migration Review No. 33.
- Pressé, D. and Thomson, J. (2008) 'The Resettlement Challenge: Integration of Refugees from Protracted Refugee Situations', Refuge, Vol. 25, No. 1.
- 'Refugee & humanitarian program' (Australia, Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs)
- 'Refugee resettlement program' (U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement)
- Robinson, G. and Riiskjaer, M. (2010) 'Joint Evaluation: Evaluation of the Protracted Refugee Situation (PRS) for Burundians in Tanzania', UNHCR.
- Teržan, M. and Kladarin, D. (2009) 'Local Integration for Refugees in Serbia', Forced Migration Review No. 33.
- Thomson, J. (2009) 'Durable Solutions for Burundian Refugees in Tanzania', Forced Migration Review No. 33.
- Scalettaris, G. (2009) 'Refugees and Mobility', Forced Migration Review No. 33.
- Schmeidl, S. (2009) 'Repatriation to Afghanistan: Durable Solution or Responsibility Shifting?' Forced Migration Review No. 33.
- Sturridge, C. (2011) 'Mobility and durable solutions: a case study of Afghan and Somali refugees', New Issues in Refugee Research No. 204, UNHCR.
- UNHCR (2011) 'UNHCR Resettment Handbook'.
- UNHCR (1996) ' Handbook - voluntary repatriation: international protection'.
- White, G. D. (2009) 'Displacement, Decentralisation and Reparation in Post-Conflict Peru' Forced Migration Review No. 33.
- Adelman, H. (2007) 'Protracted Displacement in Asia: No Place to Call Home', Law, ethics and governance series, Aldershot, England.
- Jamal, A. (2008) 'A realistic, segmented and reinvigorated UNHCR approach to resolving protracted refugee situations', in Loescher, G et al. (eds.), Protracted Refugee Situations: Political, Human Rights and Security Implications (United Nations University Press, Tokyo, pp.141-161).
- Newman, E and Troeller, G. (2008) 'Resolving protracted refugee situations: Conclusion and policy implications', in Loescher, G et al. (eds), Protracted Refugee Situations: Political, Human Rights and Security Implications (United Nations University Press, Tokyo, pp. 377-385).
- Canadian Council for Refugees (CCR)
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
- Consiglio Italiano per i Refugiati (CIR) / Italian Refugee Council
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Technische Zusammenarbeit (GTZ)
- European Council on Refugees and Exiles (ECRE)
- Exodus World Service
- France Terre d'Asile (FTDA)
- Greek Council for Refugees
- Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS)
- Immigration and Refugee Services of America (IRSA)
- International Catholic Migration Commission (ICMC)
- International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
- International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Interfaith Refugee & Immigration Ministries
- Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS)
- Metropolitan Immigrant Settlement Association (MISA)
- Montréal Centre for Inter-University Research on Immigration, Integration and Urban Dynamics (IM)
- National Immigration Forum
- Overlegcentrum voor Integratie van Vluchtelingen
- Poradna pro integraci (PPI) / Counselling Centre for Integration (PPI)
- Prairie Centre of Excellence for Research on Immigration and Integration (PCERII)
- Reception and Integration Agency (RIA), Ireland
- Refugee Council of Australia
- Refugee Council UK
- Refugee Council U.S.A.
- Settlement and Integration Services Organization (SISO)
- Swedish Refugee Council (SRC) / Svenska flyktingrådet
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- U.S. Committee for Refugees (USCR)
- U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, Migration and Refugee Services (USCCB/MRS)
- U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR)
- VluchtelingenWerk Nederland / Dutch Refugee Council
- World Relief Refugee Services